Toothbrush is a tool used to clean and brush your teeth.
It removes plaque and harmful bacteria from the mouth
Toothbrush ,nowadays used everywhere and there cannot be a single home without toothbrush. It has become part and parcel of our lives. But we really need to ask ourselves that do we know enough about our toothbrushes??
How to buy your toothbrush??
Toothbrush consists of a handle and head connected by a neck .The bristles are arranged in rows and follows a particular pattern according to brush design.
- Size of the head- It should be small enough to allow for the maximum movement in the oral cavity
- Handle of the toothbrush- It should be long enough to fit the palm of the hand.
- Toothbrush bristles- They can be hard,soft ,natural or synthetic,multi-tufted or space-tufted
Multi-tufted brushes show better cleaning ability and rounded ends shows fewer lacerations.Nylon bristles shall be chosen as it has uniformity in bristle size ,resistance to fracture and repulsion of water and debris.
- Brushing Surface- ADA specifications of a toothbrush
Brushing surface shall be 1-1.25 inches in length
5/16 to 3/8 inches in width
2 to 4 rows of bristles
These parameters shall be kept in mind for buying a toothbrush for maintaining oral health
How to take care of your toothbrush?
- Cleaning- This is the the most important step for tooth brushing.Our toothbrush should be cleaned before and after using it
Different cleansing agents can be used
- Soap solution and hot water
Soap solution can be used to clean the toothbrush deeply and hot water can
- Antimicrobial solution
- UV sanitizers
- Storage- It shall be kept in open air after usage so that it can be dried easily .If we keep toothbrush moist and closed in a drawer or cap then it has very high chances of harboring microorganisms in it .
- Sharing- Never share your toothbrush with anyone ,not even any family member as it can transfer microorganisms and diseases from 1 person to another
Replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months as it is the best
Observe the bristles of toothbrush carefully and if it is worn out then discard it immediately
If you are suffering from Covid then discard it after 14 days and start using new toothbrush .
It is important to do so as virus can again find a chance to enter in your system and reinfect you .
Also , discard your tongue cleaner and buy a new one.